Thursday 5 June 2014

Fish and Tomato Tenga

I will be doing a tomato tenga recipe today, which translated from Bengali means tomato sour, incororating fish. Usually this dish is cooked as lightly sour, mildly spiced saucy curry so you need to have some deep bottomed plates at home for the jhol/shira or sauce.

You can use any fish for this curry, but I will be using boneless salmon fillets. I will also be using mustard oil for the base of this dish, but if you do not have this at home, then you can use any oil you have.

For this, I used:

3 tbsp. oil
7 cloves garlic, minced
2 onions, finely sliced
Salt to taste
Few coriander stalks, chopped

5 green chillies

1 tomato, blended

1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. chilli powder
25 cherry tomatoes
500g salmon fillet, chopped into large cubes
Coriander to garnish

Firstly, fill your kettle to the maximum, and put on boil.

In a large saucepan, pour in your oil and warm up. Once heated, add your garlic and brown. Then add your onions, salt, coriander, chillies and cook for 5 minutes. Then add your blended tomato and cook on a low heat for about 15 minutes until the onions are very soft. Add water to the onions if they are sticking to the pan. Only a little at a time though.

Once cooked, add your powdered spices, a little water so the spices don't burn, then allow to cook for a further 5 minutes. The onions should be completely mushed by now, but if not, mash them using a potato masher.

Add your salmon cubes at this point, stir once then add tomatoes and gently stir again as not to break the fish. Cook covered for about 5 minutes, then add boiling water on one side (not directly on fish) until you have added your desired amount.

Shake the pan at this point so water, fish and tomatoes are distributed evenly and cover and cook for a further 10 minutes. Turn heat off and garnish with coriander.

Serve with hot basmati rice, in a deep bottomed plate and slurp up the sauces. Don't worry, we all do it!

N.B. You can also add dried sour fruit such as boroi, tamarind, dried mango or ami for extra sourness and eye twitchiness!

Hope you enjoy!

Yaz x

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had salmon in tenga! But, will give this try insha'allah. Sis, do have any mishti recipes that you could share? Ramadan is around the corner and I would love to surprise my family! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In sha allah i will be putting up an easy peasy pistachio barfi recipe, and will put up a gulab jamun recipe if u would like x

      Delete
  2. Is there a boneless fish that i could use to cook this curry...

    And would you be able to put up a reciepe for maas biran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I did actually use boneless salmon fillet in this dish, but you can use any type of fish like pangasius fillets, tilapia fillets or even cod!

      Delete
  3. Hello there, I'm a bloke and have no cooking skills whatsoever. However, I tried your recipe yesterday and it was delicious - just as my mother used to make. I didn't know how much boiling water to pour in, but after putting in too little and blowing out my mouth in tasting it, I decided to put more in until the spice was a little less. Thank you very much for putting up the recipe. I can send you a photo of what I did if you like, it looked pretty much like yours.

    ReplyDelete