Friday 6 February 2015

Yellow kisuri/khichdi/kedgeree

Whenever we were ill at home, my mum's recommendation would always be kisuri - a thick rice and lentil soup style dish with minimal ingredients which would be easy on our stomachs. This is the dish which is made in the majority of  Bengali households during the month of Ramadan purely because it has no spice so it would be easy to digest after an entire day of no food.

Many people make this in different ways - this is just one style. Other styles include plain white rice with ginger and methi (fenugreek seeds), white rice with vegetables added, others can include meat or chicken - these are called bhuna kisuris.

Kisuri is the Bengali way of pronouncing the Indian khichdi which was founded from the English dish of Kedgeree - usually made with rice, lentils and a fish of some sort garnished with eggs. But the fundamental part remains in that it is a looser version of rice (I don't know how else to describe it really!)

A few people had requested this recipe last year, but unfortunately i did not get around to uploading, but as i was intending to make this a few days ago, i thought i would upload the recipe!

I used:

120g basmati rice
40g red lentils (masoor daal)
1/2 an onion, sliced
1 large cinnamon stick (dalchini)
2 bay leaves (tez patta)
1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
Salt to taste

Bagar/tadka/dagni/temper:

2 tbsp. Oil
1/2 onion
1 large tbsp. Ghee/Butter (optional but recommended)

Wash your rice and lentils until the water runs clear, then put into a large saucepan with 4 times the amount of water as rice and lentils.

Put on a medium heat and add your onions, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and turmeric. Do not stir, just leave to boil. Do watch the saucepan though as it can boil over.

Once it reaches a boil, lower the heat and allow to simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes. Keep topping up the water with boiling water, and allow to boil. When it reaches a consistency you like, add salt to taste and once the rice and lentils have broken down and mushed together, take off the heat. Keep storring at this point (I do it to mash the rice and lentils further).

N.B. i always let my consistency remain slightly looser/thinner than i prefer because the kisuri thickens on standing.

In a small pan, take your oil and once hot, add the other sliced onions. Allow to brown a lot, then add your ghee. As soon as it has melted, add the entire mix to the kisuri and stir well. This is called the bagar/dagni/tadka/tempering.

Serve on it's own or with a chickpea bazi/stir fry.

I remember when my mum gave it to us when we were younger, she used to just add a bit of butter to it and the fragrance that used to come off... Yum!

Hope you enjoy!

Yaz ♡

13 comments:

  1. Hello Afsana! I would like to take a quick minute out of my day and say thank you so much! Your step-by-step directions to making this very popular dish was so very helpful! I'm 20 and have never made this, but thanks to you, I'll be trying to make it for iftar tonight, inshaAllah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww well i would like to thank you for taking the time to read through the recipe! I hope it is successful for you and in sha Allah, you will enjoy!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely and easy recipe! I will be trying this when I restock on my masoor daal! You should post your recipes more often on here - i'd be you're biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's very sweet of you to say Fatima. I was quite active on here, but some negative feedback pushed me back a little. In sha Allah one day i will start re posting!

      Delete
  3. You've got the history wrong.. the English kedgeree was derived from the Indian dish. The English diet was very bland until the Asians started migrating here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected then! I find kisuri quite bland anyway so you can't blame me too much! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  4. Hi afsana!


    I have come across your blog today.

    I was googling how to make kisuri because my dad is unwell and i wanted to cook something to make him feel better. I have never made it before. So i shall try now. Thank you for the recipes. I love the fact you added pictures. Plus your blog is informative and I will visit it regularly.

    ..please continue posting more recipes.

    Fateha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this the Fateha i knew from school?

      Sounds like it is! Firstly, i hope your dad gets well soon In sha Allah and may Allah grant him shifa.

      Secondly, thanks for your comments! I'm happy you found it useful and in sha Allah i hope you continue to do so! Let me know how it turned out and if i can be of any more help, i'm always lurking on here somewhere. Lol!

      Hope you're well x

      Delete
  5. Yay a simple recipe to make kisuri...here I come Ramadan! Thankyou hope you and your family have a lovely ramadan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you make the plain white kisuri?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe. We have had a death in our Bengali family. Kisuri is traditionally eaten during our mourning period. Thanks to you I can serve my family here in a respectful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sad to hear that, but am happy I am able to help in some way in your time of distress.

      Delete
    2. I am very sad to hear that, but am happy I am able to help in some way in your time of distress.

      Delete