Tuesday 29 October 2013

Guror Handesh

Eid has just left us a few weeks ago, but the specialities cooked always linger for a week or two after.

A specialty cooked in almost 99% of Bangladeshi households, and one which for me it would not be Eid without, is guror handesh or fried rice flour cake made with molasses jaggery.

I have been trying to perfect this recipe since my first eid after marriage, but have mainly been unsuccessful. On the one occasion i had it perfected, a neighbour came over and asked me how i managed to get them perfect. Lo and behold, she gave my handesh the evil eye and they haven't been remotely good since! (I believe in superstition with my handesh. You should always say Ma Sha Allah!)

I searched high and low on the internet for different variations of a handesh recipe, and came across many that had baking powder, icing sugar or mixtures that needed to be left overnight. They all sounded daunting, and i started calculating how many packets of rice flour i may need, until my Angel, my mummy came to the rescue. A few nights before Eid, she came and made a mixture for me, and i watched with hawk eyes to ensure i didn't miss anything out in her steps. Needless to say, her handesh were PERFECT ( Ma Sha Allah).

Yesterday, both the husband and son were hmm-ing and haaa-ing about what to eat and as they both love handesh, i thought why not give it a go.

I used:
75g plain flour
175g rice flour
5 tbsp molasses jaggery
Approximately 200ml water(you may need more or less)
Fresh oil for frying

First i took my molasses jaggery and put it into a bowl. Then i added 200ml water and using my hands, combined the two ensuring no lumps remained.

In another bowl, i put the plain flour and rice flour. I added the jaggery mixture and mixed well using my fingers to smooth the batter out. The mixture was too thick so i added more water and mixed well again to incorporate all the ingredients well.

Once the batter was of a dropping consistency (it fell off fingers easily, but not like water), it is ready to fry.

It is important to use fresh oil in a freshly washed saucepan/wok.

Heat oil, once heated put oil on low - medium flame. Using a ladle, pour mixture into a teacup. Then using teacup, pour a small amount of batter in the oil, making sure batter pours in a round/circle shape. Allow the batter to come up to the surface and lightly put oil over the top. After a minute, turn over and fry the other side.

Drain on kitchen towel to absorb oil and fry the remaining batter.

My mummy told me that the first 2-3 never turn out well, and i have found this to be true! Persevere, and you too shall have perfect handesh!!

Now my husband can never say my handesh look like brains or kidneys :)

I hope you enjoy!

Yaz ♥

14 comments:

  1. I am glad I came across your handesh recipe. I shall prepare some yummy handesh this Eid weekend. Great photos and a witty post! Thanks, Jay x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastically easy! I wanted to ask, does the mixture need leaving a while before frying or could I start frying immediately after mixture is made? Thanks, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank u! You can use immediately or you can leave to use later. If you leave to use later, make sure you give the mixture a good stir before using..

      Delete
  3. hi, love. As a sylheti living abroad, trying to reproduce mom's sylheti dishes from memory, I very much enjoy your blog. Have been trying make "handesh" for sometime, but the result is nothing to write home about. Will surely give yours a try. Would it be possible for you to give the amount in cups? thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I'm very happy to hear that i have been of a little help to you. This is the purposenfor which i created this blog!

      I'm in the UK and our cup measurements are slightly different to US cups, but i have figured out that 3/4 cup is All purpose flour and 1 and 1/6 of a cup is rice flour. With water, if we say just under 1 cup of water, you still need to adjust and add teh water slowly so you get a thick, fluid batter. I hope this helps hun and any questions, just let me know!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Thanks for the recipe sis! There is an salted version of this as well?? I have looked for the recipe but I can't find it anywhere on the (nternet)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I have looked everywhere for a recipe that resembles my mums Handesh and your one is the closest it has come only difference is that my mum put in freshly grated coconut which I just love. You have got to try it!! Thank you Soooo much for the recipe...x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there I would like to know if you use hot or cold water please? I have heard you have to leave the mixture for a couple of hours. I don't know as I am a fairly new cook. Thanks very much for your lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I use hot water. If using boiling water, please use a spoon to mix well

      Delete
    2. Hi, I use hot water. If using boiling water, please use a spoon to mix well

      Delete
  7. Hi there I would like to know if you use hot or cold water please? I have heard you have to leave the mixture for a couple of hours. I don't know as I am a fairly new cook. Thanks very much for your lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting this, I've been struggling in vain with the quantities involved, and trying to remember how my mum used to do it. All sorted now thanks to your blog. I used Date Syrup because I couldn't get hold of molasses - works just as well thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I just wanted to know how the inside of the hardest is? Does it have a Lot of bour inside them? I want a recipe that is bour free😂.. thank u

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi i made these batter was perfect raised well(puffed)but once removed from oil it becomes flat any idea or help plaz.

    ReplyDelete