Wednesday 24 September 2014

Tadka Daal (using yellow split lentils or masoor daal)

So I posted a picture of a plate of food a few days ago on Instagram, and I was asked to upload a recipe for the tadka daal that was on the picture. So here goes. It is a bog standard tadka daal, and one I cook exactly the same, always.

For this, I used:

1 cup/220g masoor daal/yellow split lentils
¾ medium onion finely sliced
1 tsp. turmeric powder
3 bay leaves
2 small cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. oil

For tadka (tempering):

2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida (optional)
¼ medium onion, finely sliced
5/6 large dried whole red chillies
8 cloves garlic, finely sliced

Coriander to garnish

N.B. I used a non-stick wok because I have found that the lentils cook much quicker, and also I do not need to mash the lentils afterwards. Also, until your lentils have cooked, do NOT stir with any kind of spoon.

Wash your lentils until the water runs clear. This should take about 5 – 6 water changes.

In a wok, put in your lentils and about 2 litres of water. Add your onions, turmeric powder, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, salt and oil and put on to a low – medium heat. I covered my wok and cooked on this heat for exactly 30 minutes. But please be careful as the lentils can boil and go over the sides of your pan.

After 30 minutes, my lentils were fully cooked so I stirred the lentils to incorporate all the ingredients well, and removed the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. I added 1 cup/250ml of water to loosen the daal and left on the low heat while I made my tadka.

In a small pan, heat the oil, and then add mustard seeds. Once the seeds start spluttering, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and onions and cook for 2 minutes. Then add your chillies and garlic and cook until garlic has browned. Slowly add this tadka to the daal (be careful as the daal will splutter). Taste to check the salt, and add more if necessary. Stir well and garnish with coriander.

Et voila! Eat with basmati rice, naan, paratha or as I usually like it, with soft boiled eggs. Hmmm, delish!

Hope you enjoy!

Yaz ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment