Monday 19 May 2014

Chicken Tikka Biryani

So i love chicken tikka and fried rice. Why not put them together and make a chicken tikka biryani (how it is made in Indian/Bangladeshi restaurants anyway).

I have posted a recipe for homemade chicken tikka in my previous post, or alternatively if you want the biryani asap, just buy some from your local takeaway and use that instead!

Recently i posted a photo on Instagram of a chicken tikka biryani, Indian restaurant style and was asked for the recipe.

I had been craving for chicken tikka biryani for a few weeks, even hinting to my dad (not happening lol - he's left that life behind) and opportunity came when i visited Kebabish with a friend (who i met after 7 years - another long story). Now i don't claim to be a really good cook, but i know that chicken tikka should taste of something right? I was given off white chicken cold chicken mixed with cold yellow rice. That was it. Suffice to say, i didn't finish it (again another first for me), and left feeling disappointed.

So a few days later, i thought to myself, i have to give it a go! As i was at my parents house, i knew i had good critics who would give me an honest opinion.

I marinated the chicken in the morning, and although i normally leave marination overnight, i was slightly desperate, so thought 8 hours was more than sufficient. I cooked it, my family ate it, and although just a little less salt than my family like (we loooove salt. I'm surprised we all do not suffer from high blood pressure) i was given a thumbs up. Result :) (and much better than Kebabish's if i say so myself!)

I used:

2 tbsp oil

8 cloves garlic, roughly  chopped
2 onions, sliced
Salt to taste
1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
3 green chillies, finely chopped (adjust accordingly)
Chopped coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder (adjust accordingly)
2 tsp mixed curry powder
1 tbsp ghee
400g sliced chicken tikka
Cooked rice (please add according to rice/chicken ratio and also it is preferable to use day old rice)
Coriander and chillies to garnish

Put the gas on high as this is quick cooking and everything is precooked so it doesn't take too long. Also do not go from the kitchen as things may get burnt :)

In a wok, heat your oil. Add your garlic and brown. Add your onions, salt, capsicum, green chillies and coriander and stir together.

Cook for about 5 mins, then add in your turmeric, chilli and mixed powder. Stir for another 5 minutes (adding water only if required) then add your ghee and chicken. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes, then add your rice. Make sure you break the rice with your hands or a spoon so you don't have lumps. Stir fry for another 5 minutes mixing all the time.

Turn off gas and garnish with coriander and chillies.

Et voila, quick and simple :)

Hope you enjoy!

Yaz ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment