Thursday 22 May 2014

Measuring spoons

I thought i would do a blog post today on measuring spoons and how i found using them.

When i used to watch my mum cooking, i always noticed that there would be no particular measurement, everything was done by eye. If i ever asked her advice on cooking a dish and the amount of spice to go in, it would be 'ekh sif' (one spoon). Now mum, how am i meant to tell which spoon you're on about? In England, there are teaspoons, latte spoons, dessert spoons, serving spoons, tablespoons, wooden spoons... I'm sure the list goes on.

If she then said 1 tea spoon, then the problem becomes worse, because my mum's teaspoons are a different size to my teaspoons, and mum's serving spoons are a different size... You get the gist.

Now i have been cooking on my own for almost 7 years and had gotten used to putting in spoons in my spice jars and remembering how many of that spoon i used in my last curry. But since taking cooking very seriously, and thinking to start a blog on cooking, i had to make sure my measurements were very precise because i was advising other people on how to cook and what quantities to use. It also helped because my curries come out the same all the time, and i know if i am making a curry that is double the size of my normal one, all i do is double the amount if spices that go in.

So i went to Asda and found a set of measuring spoons (£1 - £1.50) ranging from 1/8th teaspoon to 1 tablespoon, going up in 6 measurements. This has literally been a fantastic purchase, one which i use everyday, and it has been super useful for my blog.

Now when i say 1/2 tbsp in my blog, you don't need to ask yourself which tablespoon size is she on about. I'm on about the standard measurement that everyone can measure out - using these spoons :)

I hope this helped.

Yaz ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment